Der Resin Kavalier

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Back from Scotland! On to Huzzah!

 Travel, they say is good for the soul. I have no doubt of the truth to that statement, but at my age it can be exhausting. I have just returned from a twelve day adventure in Scotland with two of my oldest friends (and with the gracious tolerance of our respective spouses). Starting in Edinburgh, we traveled to Aberdeen, Inverness, Oban, and finally Glasgow. Side trips included several museums, castles, the Culloden battlefield, Loch Ness, more castles, two national parks, historic churches, saints' tombs, a distillery, and finally, oddly enough, still more castles. 

Urquhart Castle
The scenery was spectacular and everyone we met was both friendly and helpful. It was an exhausting trip, but one I will always treasure.

A week from today, I will be in South Portland Maine at the Huzzah! 2023 Convention. This will be the first time since the pandemic that I will have attended. While games and gaming with friends both old and new is a joy, I believe the best part of any con is renewing old friendships and enjoying the talk and company that comes it.

Not his tomb, but one containing a relic of The Bruce
I am putting one game Saturday morning using the About Bonaparte rules. Perhaps  I may see some of you there! Until next time!
Culloden Battlefield

 


4 comments:

  1. It was the summer of '74 when I spent a week and a bit hitchhiking around Scotland. We'll have to compare experiences next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be looking forward to it! It is a beautiful country from south to north. Until next weekend...

      Delete
  2. I have yet to visit the UK; over due for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, it was my first trip to the UK specifically, although my wife and I have been to Europe several times.

      Delete