Der Resin Kavalier

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Back From Huzzah! 2023

Well, it has been a few days now since I returned from the Maine Historical Wargames Association annual convention Huzzah! This was the first time since 2019 that I have attended, what with the pandemic and its associated restrictions/issues. Like meeting up with an old friend after a long time, we just picked up where we left off, albeit with some inevitable changes. Some of the vendors who usually had been there were absent, perhaps unable to recover from the aftermath of COVID's numerous disruptions. Even some old friends were unable to attend for whatever reason. Still, many were there and it was good to see them once again and like any convention,new friends and acquaintences were met. I had signed up to put on an "About Bonaparte" game based on my current Viva Iberia campaign. Though planned for six, I only had two players. Ross and Bill were both god sports about it, and surprisingly I had a couple of people who had played in my earlier 54mm games tell me they wished they had known about it. I understand that there had been some scheduling problems with the convention, so perhaps that was a contributing factor. Based on the 1806 Battle of Maida in Italy, I had transformed it to somewhere in Iberia near the village of San Pedro de Maida. Sadly, I only took a few photos showing the Anglo-Spanish line commanded by Bill.
The French forces,commanded by Ross, marched on from their side. The French Grand Battery seriously crippled the Spanish battery as the French lines inexorably marched on. A spirited firefight between the British Light Brigade and the French cavalry ended with the destruction of the French, but not before the British lights were forced back. On another note, readers of this blog will recall a couple of posts ago that I wascomplaing about painting the "diced hose" on Highland Regiments. A reader was kind enough to write in and explain that they weren't really socks, but rather called "moggins". Checking it out, I found that the word had two meanings: one unpublishable from the urban dictionary, and a second that confirmed that they were indeed the diced hose I complained about. Recently during my trip to Scotland, I was able to take a picture of said moggins (or moggans) at one of the museums we visited. Here they are:
I also had the opportunity to play in Ross' "Meet Me at the Oasis". Basically, an Anglo-Turkish force had to hold a strategtic oasis having the only source of fresh water in the area. The rules were typical Ross, that is simple and fun. I commanded the Brtish detachment of sailors, Marines, and some assorted Turks in the village. We beat back numerous assaults but were eventually overwhelmed by French numbers. It was a great way to spend a Saturday evening with good friends, a good game, and adequate refreshments of the adult variety.

3 comments:

  1. It was a darned good restart. Its a pity of the confusion surrounding your game, I had signed up and then it disappeared and then, there is was. I was just starting to get a handle on the rules when we ran out of time. I'm not sure these links will work but I snapped 2 pictures:

    Pic 1: Overview from French side, and my gallant horseman (and his late companions):
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct7A8dQMXqnowVpE7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/GszRh3gmFjPzRctr8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, well...maybe next time. Great photos! Would you mind if I used one of them later? Full credit, of course, will be given to you.

    ReplyDelete