Der Resin Kavalier

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

The Problem with "Splendid Little Wars", Part 1

 For those of you who have been indulgent enough to follow this blog over the last few years know that my primary interests are the Anglo-American War of 1812 and the American War of Independence. Now both were "Splendid Little Wars" to paraphrase John Hay, the Secretary of State during the short (4 months) war with Spain in 1898 but big battles, like one saw in Napoleonic Europe, were few and far between. Both however had numerous small actions and skirmishes (although I am sure my Canadian friends might consider them in a different light). So, what to do??

Some years ago I purchased a facsimile edition of Benson J. Lossing's  The Pictorial Field-Book of the War of 1812, written a few years before the American Civil War and published in 1868. The original was a folio sized book (think coffee table book), with the typical small print and meticulous detailed chapter headings. The modern reprint in my collection is about the size of a normal book. Lossing was both an artist and writer and his work is copiously illustrated as he saw them at the time. He was also to interview a number of surviving veterans of that war who were by then in their late seventies and eighties. Some of their stories are fascinating! The book is best read in small doses. Published in 1976, its ISBN is 0-912274-31-X.   

 

A more recent publication that I added to my library is one by Adrian Mandzy, Ph.D. published last year and titled Bad Roads and Poor Rations (Fifty-nine Wargame Scenarios for the North American War of 1812), ISBN 978-1-950423-30-9. It was his work that triggered this edition.

I asked myself how could I play these numerous small actions without either investing in more figures or coming up with a new set of rules? In the end I compromised. You have read my various missives regarding Dirk Donvil's About Bonaparte (AB) rules. Could I adapt them? 

I will go into more detail next time but for now, I will just mention the organization for these splendid little armies! AB units, although not specific, use 8-figure groups of three 2-figure , and two 1-figure stands to represent the battalion or regiment (or 8 individual stands for regular skirmishers) . The four individual figures of the cavalry represent a squadron or regiment. Why not just call them a company (with two 4-figure platoons) or a cavalry troop? Maybe add an officer/NCO or two and that became my starting point.

Next time I will describe the rules modifications, national characteristics, and  basic mechanics. To illustrate, I'll recount a small skirmish between some militia and the seaborne raiders from Great Britain. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. In many ways that's the level that suits that war best. Afterall, some of the crucial battles weren't terribly big but become BIG games when played at a low level.

    My 1st hmgs game was Chateauguay using my freshly published With MacDuff to the Frontier, aimed at ambushes of wagon trains and the like.

    Ps my Friday game is sold out, 2 spots left for the Saturday 7pm game set in Syria 1798/99. I managed to nab a spot in your ..Napoleonic? Well H&M anyway game .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for signing up. I'm looking forward to Huzzah! Three years without it is way too many!
      Alan

      Delete