Der Resin Kavalier

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Never Say Never (or something like that)

Well the first battle in my Viva Iberia  campaign has been fought and the Spanish force was driven from the field. But this was a small battle, taken from Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames. Dirk Donvil's rules continue to impress me, so much so that I took it upon myself to come up with a couple of QR sheets to speed things along. Unlike the set at the end of his rules (About Bonaparte), I disregarded the metric measurements and simply used standard English units of inches, feet, etc. Of course, my other motive was to use them as I try to interest my wargaming club in battles with 54mm figures. Also in May they will be used for the game or games I hope to put on at Huzzah 2022, in South Portland Maine. 

So, what about "Never Say Never"? Well for those of you who have been kind enough to follow my random musings over the last couple of years, know that my preference for game bases has always been the lowly, but functional, rectangle. Back in 2020 when I first discovered these rules, I used the square bases (55mm x 55mm) specified in the AB rulebook. At that time, and perhaps it was such a small battle, I thought the square bases just didn't look right, especially considering they only had 2 figures per stand. So I switched to rectangles measuring 3" x 1.5" with 3 figures per base. The drawback was it also increased the unit frontage by about a third.  


The two photos show you the difference. The Americans on the left take up about 8" of frontage, while the French below on rectangular  bases take up 12". So what to do?

If you guessed "rebase", you got it in one. Fortunately, since I use white glue to attach the figures, their removal is quite easy and relatively painless as far as the repainting is concerned. The other, and rather unexpected bonus is that it provides more figures for second and third battalions, with minimal effort. 

Well, I will find out soon enough if it was worth it as I will be conducting a march larger test battle on my club's 8' x 6' table in a couple of weeks. 

Until next time...



4 comments:

  1. I rather like the 2-figures on a square model - I've used it myself for WWII, although I recently rebased those figures to individual bases. I'm sure you well know this already, but don't do like I have done in the past and toss the old bases. It's only a matter of time before you rebase again (or use them for a different project)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have grown to like it. Having set up my French forces, newly rebased, and increased by a third with little effort, I must say it looks good. I am a firm believer in "recycling" old bases. It's also one of the reasons I don't flock them in this scale.

      Delete
  2. I like my line troops relatively close so the three's better than the two's, looks like a line since its wider than deep.

    Alas, Huzzah is finally a 'Go' and I won't be able to be there! Need to go find my stiff upper lip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing you. As for the square bases, I must say that when my French Division of 12 battalions is set out, it does look remarkably impressive.

      Delete