Der Resin Kavalier

Monday, February 21, 2022

The Opening Moves!

For some time now, I have been discussing my mythical campaign, "Viva Espana!" which I think, by the way, I will rename "Viva Iberia!", to avoid any conflict with Two Fat Lardies Spanish Civil War campaign. Most of the posts so far have talked about collecting and painting the various forces to be involved, along with a couple of battle reports using either highly modified Charge! rules, or the more contemporary (and I believe more suitable) About Bonaparte by Dirk Donvil.

Now, for those of you that game in 54mm, you understand the logistical problems associated with large club games, especially if you want anything bigger than a skirmish.

Now,  in the depths of a particularly variable New England winter, I haven't been getting out as much as I used to. A large part of it I think has to do with my getting on in years, being in my eighth decade. Perhaps more relevant is that I don't like driving at night in the winter. That being said, a solo game or two combined with significant painting sessions, pretty much satisfy my gaming needs.  

 The basic rules were pretty much adhered to, so they would be a good indication of their suitability. For such solo games, I turn to Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames. For this, I will be using the basic map for Scenario 24, Bottleneck.

 The Blue force will be the French and the Red force Spanish. Using the dicing system to determine the forces involved, in this case a 6 unit force (blue) against a 4 unit force (red), the following were decided: French-> 3 infantry units, 1 artillery, and 2 skirmishers 
French Artillery and Commander
French Skirmishers

Two French and one Swiss Battalions

 Spanish-> 2 infantry, 1 artillery, and 1 skirmisher. Under the scenario conditions, one of the red units had to be skirmishers.
Spanish Skirmishers



Spanish Line


Spanish Commander and Artillery








In the next edition, I will go over the set up and opening moves, perhaps even the entire battle!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully, that will be the latter part of next week.

      Delete
  2. The troops look excellent!

    Seems to me that hibernating in winter seems more and more like a good idea as the years flow by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. In the "old days" they always entered into "Winter Quarters", save for those upstarts Washington and Frederick. Now, come May (and Huzzah!) you will get to meet them in person, assuming "normalcy" becomes reality and not just a hope!

      Delete
  3. Great figures!
    Could you set up a followers thing at the side to help up keep up with your progress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, I have just found the follower thingie at the bottom of the page . I have started to follow you…

      Delete