Der Resin Kavalier

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

New Ideas, New Rules: War of 1812







It's been a few months, but as we are now in high summer, and despite the fact that most of Massachusetts is open after the recent pandemic, the temperature outside would indicate that some inside (air conditioned) activities might be warranted. In my last post I wrote about my original interest, later revived, in the War of 1812 (as it is known here). In perusing the net, I came across a blog I would highly recommend:PMCD-Mobilisatie

This group seems to specialize in 54mm wargames and although located in Belgium (Flanders), most of the postings are translated to English. The photos and postings are well-done. Check it out if you get a chance.

Now, one of the issues that seems to be more common with 54's than other scales is a lack of rules that both provide a satisfactory game and can accommodate lots of troops. In perusing the pmcd-mobilisatie postings, there was mention of a set of Napoleonic rules that they used called About Bonaparte by Dirk Donvil and available through Partizan Press (Caliver Books ). I think they may fit the bill very well! As much as I enjoy Charge! and All the King's Men (ATKM), they have their drawbacks. In the case of  Charge!, large units and rules that can be, and often are, a bit confusing. Having no quick access or summary sheets certainly doesn't help. ATKM is straight forward, but the use of large amounts of dice and colored status markers does tend to slow things down.

About Napoleon is promoted as fast play, and I think that is true. Units are eight figures on 4-6 stands. The dice are customized, marked by having I (infantry), A (artillery), C (cavalry), F (flag), along with a blank side. Still, I was able to purchase a dozen blank dice on line easily, and marking the letters with permanent markers took only a few minutes. The rules for movement, command, firing, and contact (melee) are straight forward. They are fairly comprehensive and include sections on national characteristics, a simple set of campaign rules, as well as specific rules for other musket era wars including FIW, AWI, ACW, (even nineteenth century colonial wars!)




Now, I was skeptical that Napoleonic warfare could be represented well with such small units and in such a large scale, but I was, happily, wrong. I've included some photos of my War of 1812 Americans and British.The figures are both AIP and ATKM. They are organized for the About Bonaparte  rules. More next time!

















6 comments:

  1. Great looking figures, About Bonaparte rules seem to be quite popular with 54mm gamers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The rules show potential. I will be trying them out over the next day or two using a scenario (#5) from One Hour Wargames. I will post the results next week.

      Delete
  2. Let's hope so! I find myself looking more and more for "simple" as opposed to all those things we looked for in wargame rules back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi AL!
    Did you know that Brockton was named after a War of 1812 General? Yup! General Brock,a Canadian General, who fought for the British against us. In 1876, I believe, then North Bridgewater had grown to where it wanted to incorporate as a city. A "special Commission" of "Historians" was selected to chose the name of a "famous Military Man" to give the new city some pizzazz to its name! They Chose General Brock! I feel, personally that it was the large number of Canadian emigres that followed the burgeoning shoe industry into the city that had a major impact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you mentioned that to me years ago. Still, he was by all accounts an honorable gentleman and warrior. Better named after him than, Tarleton.

    ReplyDelete