Der Resin Kavalier

Monday, May 20, 2019

Back from Huzzah!

Well, Huzzah 2019 is over and, as in years past, it was both exhilarating and exhausting. I picked up Tom my good friend of many decades about 1030 Friday morning. Arriving in south Portland about two hours later, we enjoyed lunch at a local brew pub (a favorite), and later checked in to the hotel.
I was not scheduled for any games on Friday, so most of the remaining afternoon and evening was spent catching up with old friends, both in the main hall and the bar. I've often said this was the most enjoyable part of any convention. I've yet to be proven wrong.

Saturday was a busy day. I had volunteered to help at the registration table from 0900 to 1200 which took up the morning. Afterwards I helped Tom set up his Northwest Frontier game scheduled for the 1400 to 1800 time block. A couple of pictures are shown below:

The photos show the fort held by the British near Chitral. Although it was a near run thing, I think Lt. Hartley and the Brits held.
These photos are various views of the British cantonment at Chitral, and under siege by local tribesmen.

My afternoon was spent with Ross, my Canadian friend, and several others using Ross' Mac Duff rules as we tried to capture a strategic village and wagon train from the forces of Rosmark. We were not quite successful, but it was a lot of fun!


 The above picture shows the opening as we attempted to pull off a surprise attack on the camps of the Rosmark cavalry as they slept. Alas the alertness of the light infantry prevented us from pulling it off. Driving them back, we advanced, but they were quicker and got away!

Tomorrow, I'll finish up with my contribution: The Battle of St. Croix, using the Charge! rules. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Catching up with friends in person is the best part but I do get great pleasure from runnning a game when the players know what they are doing and how to treat other people and that game was a great pleasure for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great weekend. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan, I found your blog, thanks again for such a fun Saturday night battle! It was the highlight of the weekend for me. Your armies are beautiful and one (two?) of a kind. It was fun to play the Charge! Rules. What a great game I've never had so much fun being slaughtered by canister (thanks, Ross)! Best Regards, Scott Wetherell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you and your son had a good time. I will be posting my battle report on here this week. I had hoped to get it done today, but it was such a beautiful day, I instead got together with friends for golf. (It's nice to be retired!)

    ReplyDelete