Der Resin Kavalier

Friday, December 14, 2018

Recruiting an Army, Part 6

Recruiting a 54mm Army (Part 6), or,
Sometimes you just need to improvise!

In the last installment, I took a look at Armies in Plastic (AIP) American Revolution Cavalry. Unlike some of their other sets this one's interpretation of light cavalry in the AMR (or AWI) is problematic. There are only five figures in the set: one officer, one bugler, two swordsmen, and some fool shooting his carbine, possibly at a circled wagon train. Now, granted these are toy soldiers and not specifically designed for collecting or gaming, but carbines were rare during the AMR, at least among the Americans. As for the tricorns they are wearing, few units, militia or otherwise, wore such headgear. The only exception I am aware of was the Connecticut Light Horse.

So what to do? Slice and improvise! The pictures below show this same basic AIP unit with new headgear and arms (literally) to give a better impression of American Light Cavalry. The heads and some of the arms are extras I purchased from All the Kings Men, now sadly out of business. Other arms were just cut off and swapped, and the seams filled with modeling putty as necessary.

I did find another source, however. Irregular Miniatures (irregularminiatures.co.uk) offers an extensive line of 54mm parts, headgear, and figures. I have not done business with them, but it might be something worth looking into. As always, I welcome your comments!

This photo and the one below shows the original figures pictured in my previous posting. The heads and arms have been replaced or swapped.


And here's the new unit, ready for action in a uniform similar to the 4th Continental Dragoons (artistic license freely included).


7 comments:

  1. That works well, I'd have been to go with Tarleton's taken from the RHA set.

    Are the old Hat French Dragoons still available? They would probably serve well enough as American Dragoons in imported French helmets though not the sharpest castings.

    I've also seen a picture of a Queen's Rangers Hussar wearing a peakless stovepipe shako.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The French Dragoons are still available online. I picked some up this past summer. The figures are a bit smaller than the AIP. I tried the head on one of the AIP figures, and because it was a bit smaller, just didn't look right.

      Delete
  2. These are very nice. I have purchased from Irregular (amazing service and lovely, lovely people) but the cost of their 54s has meant I've converted the AiP set like you have. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've looked at Irregular's offerings in 54mm and they do look good. When I run out of ATKM heads, I will be looking to them (probably sooner). Their 54mm buildings parts looked promising also.

      Delete
  3. The head swap is a big improvement, I've also dealt with Irregular and endorse Bob's opinion, they're very helpful people. what will you do with the guy firing the carbine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't figured that one out yet. I might try some surgery on him and perhaps rearrange his orientation. Who knows?

      Delete
  4. They came out great Alan, your tempting me to get back to work on my 54mm ACW.

    ReplyDelete