Der Resin Kavalier

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Introduction and Welcome

Since I was a boy, toy soldiers have been a part of my life. As a young lad, most of my excess capital (which wasn't much) would be spent on either comic books (SGT Rock of Easy Company was a particular favorite), or toy soldiers. In my teens, my friend Tom and I discovered Jack Scruby and his extensive line of metal miniatures, a revelation to be sure. But more importantly, we discovered his set of war game rules, Fire and Charge. That was around 1967. Now, fifty plus years later, we still game together, although our horizons and gaming interests have broadened considerably from those Fire and Charge games. For after what seemed like hours of maneuver, it would come down to a giant melee, usually in the middle of the table, with the result resting on the roll of a single die. Most of our friends by that time had left such things behind. In truth, Tom and I thought we were about the only war gamers in America.

But then, just like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and other British rock bands had invaded just a couple of years before, the name Donald F. Featherstone started showing up in some of the local bookstores. Tom got a copy of his Wargames and Advanced Wargames, which I borrowed of course. New vistas suddenly opened up.

Not long after, Dick Bryant and the fellows of the New England Wargamers Association invited us to join them on their Wednesday night games at Dick's home. I started helping put the old Courier together, and the rest, as they say is history. We've lost a couple since then, but I see most of the others on a fairly regular basis. Indeed, the annual Huzzah! convention in Portland, ME is a reunion I look forward to each year.

When I started playing with toy soldiers as a child, most were 54mm (not that I ever questioned it). The first Scurby's I bought were smaller, 30mm. Then we pretty much went to 25mm, then 15, and ultimately for a brief time 1/285th micro. Perhaps it's a function of age, but everything is returning full circle: 25's have become 28's; 30's are now 40's. Me? I'm back to 54's, hence the name of this blog: Der Resin Kavalier, a play on Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier (an opera not quite as appreciated as some).

So, we're off. I've never blogged before, so expect a rocky start. My goal is basically to spread the word on the marvelous world of plastic toy soldiers: 54's primarily, but 40's will show up.  There is so much out there and more coming every day. I'll talk about painting, manufacturers, and of course war games. Your input is welcome. And for those of you retired like like me, remember something a good friend once told me: Retirement is like a second childhood, except now, you are legal and have money (at least some) to buy the stuff you really want!





9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the "Blogosphere" Alan. Off to a great start!

    Greater Header! Good ad for AIP too!

    Fire and Charge were Jack Scruby's rules weren't they? I'd like to hear more about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. The figure is an AIP American Revolution cavalry. When I first saw them, I knew they would be useless in that role, but maybe a dragoon from one of the German States. He painted up remarkably well. As for the Scruby rules, I have copy around here somewhere. I do remember that it used a roster system and each figure was worth so many points depending on type, e.g. line was one point each, grenadiers were two each, and so on. I'll dig them out and maybe right up a more detailed account. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Well done, my son! Your initial thoughts brought back some other pleasant memories of childhood; lead Grenadier Guards from Britain’s, Marx play sets (the Alamo being one of my favorites) SAE (Swedish African Engineers) 30mm American Covil War and the never ending lines of plastic Airfix. As you say, we’ve come a long way since then; however, one thing hasn’t changed over the years and that is our love for our toy soldiers!

    Good luck with the blog!

    Youngknight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Hope the weather is cooperating up there in the wilds of the Empire State! We'll see you when you get back.

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to you and your new blog. Please drop by and visit at:

    http://battlesandcampaigns.blogspot.com/2018/06/after-bath-marshal-ney-is-like-new-man.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I shall indeed drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation on your new blog and good luck sir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell us about 54mm. If you were building enough figures for a smallish battle (like that pictured) what figures would you use? Say for SYW and/or Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete