Der Resin Kavalier

Friday, June 22, 2018

Huzzah! 2018

Recently at Huzzah! 2018, I tested out a new (for me anyhow) set of rules, Honours of War, for use with 54mm figures. Now, in truth they are designed for the Seven Years War, but I've played enough AWI and SYW games in the last few decades to realize that Horse and Musket rules generally work well for horse and musket armies. Every set covers four basics: movement, firing, melee, and morale. The rest I would assert, is commentary (but that's a post for another time!)

An Osprey publication, they were not specifically designed for large figures but did have, available for download, rules adaptations of 28-30mm figures. Ranges and movement distance were roughly compatible with my primary set for this scale (All The King's Men), and since the author claimed that basing was not critical, I figured, what the heck, let's give it a go.

I had originally planned a one-on-one game with two (no doubt enthusiastic) players. Well, four could work also and so it began. The rules worked as expected with a few modifications. The mechanisms were easy to learn, and the results were if not realistic, certainly reasonable. Bottom line: they would probably work better with smaller scales although the participants all seemed to enjoy themselves. I am posting some pictures of the opening positions. The figures are mostly IMEX and AIP, with the cavalry from the late and sorely missed All the King's Men. The flags are from Adolph Ramos (highly recommended!).

As always, your comments are welcome.








12 comments:

  1. This looks like a good size for a 54mm game. How many inf, cav and guns in each sides OB? Also, how do you like the All the King’s Men rules?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The OB is taken from a scenario in the Honours of War rulebook. Infantry battalions were 14-16 figures, LI/Jagers were 8 figures each, Cavalry units were 8 figures, the guns had 4 figure crews.

    All the King's Men is a pretty good set and designed for 54mm figures. I have modified them somewhat. Ken Cliffe, the author has closed his figure manufacturing business recently but I think the website is still up and you can download the rules there for free. Try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the rules (ATKM). What rules modifications have you made?

      Delete
    2. The two biggest are eliminating the colored markers and just giving the unit a number of operations in can perform during a turn (2 for most infantry, 3 for lights, etc.) Secondly I shortened the firing range of lights to the same as line but giving the lights an extra firing die. Still debating about riflemen/Jagers.

      Delete
  3. Lovely figures, what make are the British artillery crew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The gunners are IMEX,the gun itself is AIP. The officer is an old Strombecker pot metal casting from the mid 1960's that I found in one of my boxes of figures to be painted.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful figures and great looking terrain. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Alan. Tempting . I hope you are well my old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a joy to play a 54mm Horse & Musket game again and the company was good.

    The rules don't fit my current tastes but there was nothing wrong with them and they didn't prevent the accuracy of the American artillery and superior American generalship from winning the day. (Rolling up when it matters is a very important Tabletop Generalship characteristic ),

    ReplyDelete
  7. Considering it was a "pick-up" game, things worked out well. And of course the company made it even better! BTW, I hope you got the email and attachment I sent you.

    ReplyDelete